Sunset Spiritualist Church
Wells, Kansas 67467
Adult classes every Sunday at 10 am
Church at 11 am every Sunday
Potluck Dinner first Sunday each Month
August Board Meeting
August Board meeting will be August 6th following church and pot luck. Join us and bring your ideas and concerns. If you have any questions please contact Norma at 785-823-6118, firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Photo CD
For a mere $5 donation to Sunset church, you will receive a cd rom containing close to 200 pictures of scenes from both weeks of Sunset camp, 2006.
These pictures can be viewed on a computer, printed, or you can take the cd to Walmart or other such store and have prints made of the ones you want.
Please send your name, address, and 5 dollars to Linda Anderson and the CD will be mailed to you. Thank you Priscilla.
10 Countryside Dr.
Hutchinson, KS 67502
It has been my pleasure to serve the church by putting together the newsletter for the last several years but it is time to bless someone else with the opportunity. Thank you for me allowing me this honor. For the time being please contact Linda email@example.com or phone 620-663-2988, 620-727-4329 with any information you may want to share in future newsletters.
“I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” – Steven Hawkins
From The Medicine Wheel Committee: Rev. Evadne Tuxhorn, Pat Stepanek, Mary Stewart
The center of energy has been re-established at the site of the original medicine wheel on the church grounds. During the summer, as found, the basic 8 stones will be laid in place for our Medicine/Prayer Wheel. On Sat. Oct. 7th we will have a Prayer-Stone Ceremony.
The new wheel will be a Sedona Style Wheel, with all who visit it free to lay in a stone and leave their prayers. So everyone bring their stones that week-end. The original stones you lay should be fairly large, 5-6 inches across. You are not limited to only one stone, the circle and the 4 arms will eventually be full of stones.
You may bring smaller stones and leave them anytime you visit the wheel. The smaller prayer stones can be whatever you feel moved to leave – any small stone, tumbled stone or crystal. However, with the small ones be prepared for them to leave the circle with someone else who might have need of that particular prayer. Rule: If you take a stone, only the small ones, if you take one you must leave another one (or more) in it’s place. Help keep our wheel active and alive. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Officers For the Upcoming Year
President : Karen Lyons
Vice President: Larry Stepanek
Secretary: Rev. Norma Johnson
Treasurer: Javene Whitley
Keeping Up With the Board – from President Karen Lyons
The July Board meeting was held on the 9th. The Board received a report from the Constitution Committee that the final draft was ready to be prepared and delivered to the Board. The matter will be taken up at the August Board meeting which will be held following pot luck on the first Sunday.
Two new cabins have been ordered. Ron Glasgow has advised he won’t be ready to take on finishing up the inside until the weather cools a bit. The Board concurs.
Rev Gary Nicholson was appointed by the Board of Trustees to fill the office of Vice President vacated by the death of Irene Keith until the new Board takes office in October. Rev Nicholson has come to our rescue on many occasions. Thank you Gary, for stepping up once again.
Membership requests are being filled as they come in. After a little initial confusion, it seems to be going smoothly now.
In other business the Board approved the dedication of the memorial built by Campers during Camp to mark the 125th Anniversary. The memorial (which is an art project located in the Southwest corner of the property) will be dedicated during the activities of the first weekend in October. The need for a sidewalk leading to the bathhouse was also discussed. As always there is much work to be done. This fall we hope to see you at the Camp on weekends to give us a hand. Marge Glasgow has consented to audit the books and to have a report ready by the October Business meeting.
Negotiations are currently under way with Rev Charles Cox to present a workshop this fall. Watch your newsletter as the details will be published as soon as they become available.
We look forward to seeing you soon. We are coming together at Sunset Spiritualist Church. As always the Board is happy to receive any ideas you have or opinions you wish to express. Pray for one another.
Healing Work or Private Counseling available after any Sunday Church Service by an attending Minister.
2nd Row, Sue, Maxine, Javene, Evadne, Charlotte & Henry, Judy, Vesna, Kristi, Marty, Russell, Roger, Linda, Teresa, Nancy, John & son, Peggy, Linda & Mike, Kathy, Pat, Nancy, Dianne, Phyllis, Douglas, Becky, Kelly, Travis.
Send requests for prayer to Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org 620-663-2988, 620-727-4329
If you have email and are not getting the computer newsletter online email Linda at email@example.com
A special thanks to all who donated toilet tissue, paper towels, kleenix, dish and hand soap, & coffee. We are grateful for your generosity.
July 30 Bonnie Smith
August 6 TBA
August 13 Laura Coffey
Please call Norma for further information, to make any changes, or to add your name to schedule
“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”
– Nelson Mandela –
“A Long Walk to Freedom”
No, dear friends, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead.
From Debbie Grosser
We are looking for ways to improve camp. We want to know if you would be able to attend more of camp if we changed the dates? Which of the following would be better for you and why? We will vote on the dates for camp at our Oct. 1 meeting.
1) Same as it is now – next year’s dates would be Sat, June 2 – Sun, June 17, 2007.
2) Sat, June 9 – Sun, June 24, 2007.
3) Sat, June 16 – Sun, July 1, 2007.
4) Sat, June 23 – Sun, July 8, 2007
5) Sat, June 30 – Sun, July 15, 2007.
6) Sat, July 7 – Sun, July 22, 2007.
If you have any other suggestions that would work best for you, please include that as well. Please send your information to: Debbie Grosser, 2363 Chapel Ridge Place, Apt. 8-I, Salina, KS 67401 or e-mail Debbie at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a WONDERFUL list to print out and use!!
You Say: “It’s impossible” God Says: “All things are possible” Luke 18:27
You Say: “I’m too tired” God Says: “I will give you rest” Matthew 11:28-30
You Say: “Nobody really loves me” God Says: “I love you” John 3:16 & John 3:34
You Say: “I can’t go on” God says: “My grace is sufficient” II Corinthians 12:9 & Psalm 91:15
You say: “I can’t figure things out” God says: “I will direct your steps” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
You say: “I can’t do it” God says: “You can do all things” (Philippians 4:13)
You say: “I’m not able” God says: “I am able” (II Corinthians 9:8)
You say: “It’s not worth it” God says: It will be worth it (Roman 8:28 )
You say: “I can’t forgive myself” God says: I Forgive you(I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1)
You say: “I can’t manage” God says: I will supply all your needs(Philippians 4:19)
You say: “I’m afraid” God says: “I have not given you a spirit of fear” (II Timothy 1:7)
You say: “I’m always worried and frustrated” God says: “Cast all your cares on ME” (I Peter 5:7)
You say: “I’m not smart enough” God says: “I give you wisdom” (I Corinthians 1:30)
You say: “I feel all alone” God says: “I will never leave you or forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5)
This is a quiz for people who know everything! These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers. (answers on back page)
1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn’t been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters “dw” and they are all common words. Name two of them.
7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?
8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
9. Name 6 or more things that you wear on your feet beginning with the letter “S.”
Answers at bottom
A group of alumni, highly established in their careers, got together to visit their old university professor. Conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in work and life. Offering his guests coffee, the professor went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups… porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite… telling them to help themselves to the coffee.
After all the students had a cup of coffee in hand, the professor said, “If you noticed, all the nice looking expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it’s normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that’s the source of your problems and stress. Be assured that in most cases the cup itself adds no quality to the coffee, just more expense, and in some cases it even hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the best cups. and then began eyeing each other’s cups.
Now consider this: Life is the coffee…the jobs, possessions, the money and the position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life. The type of cup we have neither defines nor changes the quality of Life we live. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee God has provided us. “Our Creator” brews the coffee… don’t pay too much attention to the cups… Enjoy your coffee.
How to Heal the World
This article was written by Owen Waters, author of “The Shift: The Revolution in Human Consciousness” find the article at http://www.infinitebeing.com/theshift
Answers To Quiz:
1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends ……boxing
2. North American landmark constantly moving backward……Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about 2 ½ feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)
3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons…..
asparagus and rhubarb.
4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside ….. strawberry.
5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle?….. It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)
6. Three English words beginning with dw….. dwarf, dwell and dwindle.
7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar .…..period, comma, colon, semicolon, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, dash, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.
8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh …..lettuce.
9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with “s” ……shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice,
but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.”
May integrity and honesty protect me, for I put my hope in you.