Breaking DAWN



Sunset Spiritualist Church

103 Hanes

Wells, Kansas 67467 


Adult classes every Sunday at 10 am
Church at 11 am  every Sunday

Potluck Dinner first Sunday each Month


January 2005

Camp 2005
We need your help to make Sunset Camp successful. We want the membership involved in the planning of Camp. We embrace volunteers and welcome any ideas you may have. It is fun being a part of camp, getting to know each other on a more personal level and the success of camp depends on the membership giving of their time and talents. Whether you would like to instruct a class, help in the kitchen or work the snack bar we need your help! Please contact any board member, Kitty 785-488-3712, cell 819-0741, or Patti 402-228-3558, with your ideas or to let us know how you would like to help. You are invited to attend Board Meetings and bring your ideas. The next Board Meeting is on Feb. 6th.


The theme for Sunset Camp 2005 was discussed at the January 2nd board meeting.
It was decided that “Spiritualism – The Basics” Would be the theme for this years camp.

Jewelry Class on Hold for Winter Months

Daya’s jewelry class WILL NOT meet in February. Put the class on your calendar for the March 5th Daya plans on doing soldering. Anyone is welcome to join. Bring your lunch. Any questions call Daya at 620-442-1310 or email her at 


A workshop on Spiritualism is being planned for the weekend of April 9h & 10th. Mark it on your calendar and watch for more info as plans unfold.


Condolences to Sharon Eenhuis and family on the passing of her sister Diane.

Sympathy to Mary Brown and family, Mary’s brother Jay passed on Jan. 7th.

Kitty’s family request prayer for her daughter and family, Cody her grandson is undergoing tests to find the source of some medical issues.

Continue prayer for Celinda, sister of Charles Cox, as she continues her miraculous recovery at home.

Daya requests prayer for Nick and Cody. May they find the path that leads to their higher good.

Gerry Gottula is recovering from the fall that injured both legs in Nov.

Healing prayers for Ron Wills, 2nd row, Carroll Tomlin and Paul Hyde.

Please send special prayer requests to any Board Member

Willow Leanders is being fitted for her prosthetic leg. She is grateful to all that helped her raise the amount not covered by insurance. 

“And now I beg you, lady, not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we follow his commandments; this is the commandment, as you have heard from the beginning, that you follow love.”

  The Third Letter of John verses 5 & 6

Supplies are always needed for Church as well as for Camp. Donations of any of the following are greatly appreciated: paper towels, toilet tissue, dish soap, hand soap, garbage bags, coffee, teas, hot cocoa or surprise us.


The Board of Directors of Sunset Church and Camp are busy raising money for a proposed new building. Our goal is $50,000.
Please consider sending your donation today for Sunset Camp Building Fund. Mail your donation to: Sunset Church, 103 Hanes, Wells, KS 67467

ATTORNEY’S advice – stolen Credit Cards 

Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday.
Maybe we should all take some of his advice! A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1. The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook, they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name, but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the “For” line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The Credit Card Company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won’t have access to it.

3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc you will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We’ve all heard horror stories about fraud that’s committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, and credit cards. Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.

But here’s some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

1. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc. were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here’s what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

3.Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit. By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done.

There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves’ purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away. This weekend someone turned it in. It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, etc. has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

Church Services

January 23                        Ron Boden
January  30              Rev.  Mary Brown
February  6                  Patti Nicholson
February  13                Linda Anderson
February  20                    Karen Lyons


Leroy and Maxine Windhorst – In April of 1941 Leroy and his cousin came to Wichita to work at Beach Aircraft. They came to Maxines Mothers for room and board. Maxine and Leroy became friends and then married on October 25th 1941 over 63 years ago.

Leo and Javene Whitley – They first met in grade school. Leo went to one grade school, Javene another. A school function brought the 2 schools together where they first met each other. They went to high school together. On April 24th they will celebrate 59 years of marriage.

Ron and Marge Glasgow – (in Marge’s words) Ron and I met at the Kansas Free Fair. I was exhibiting there as a 4-H member and was working for the Kansas 4-H Journal at the time. He had taken off work (Capital City Blue Print) to work the gate and tell people where to park. When I drove in with my parent’s car, he wanted to park the car for me. So I believe I let him. He had access to a license tag book or whatever they were called and found out who the car belonged to. He then got my name and called me and asked me out. We dated awhile, and then I broke up w/him and then later called him back… Every year he would take his vacation from his regular job and work at the fair for extra money. This was over 50 years ago that we met we were both very young, in fact in August we are celebrating 50 years of togetherness.

Paul and Joan Hyde – Paul had a date with a friend of Joan’s who asked Joan to come along. They went to a VFW Dance in Concordia. Somewhere during the evening Paul asked Joan to go out with him the next evening. Paul says, “one thing led to another”. They were married on September 4th 1951 over 53 years ago. Joan says she has not heard from the friend for over 50 years, she is not sure why.

Thanks for sharing your stories with us. 

A LOVE STORY by Patti Nicholson

My Grandpa, J. D. (Dee) Walker never met stranger. He was roofer all of his life (also a licensed masseur) he was generous to a fault, many times his family did without because he met up with someone whose needs he felt were greater than those of his family. This often caused great stress to my Grandmother “Muvy” who had the primary job of raising their 4 children, she worked her whole life to make sure her children did not go without while Grandpa Dee was saving others.

Grandpa was over 6 foot tall and he had huge hands, Muvy was under 5 foot and wore a size 4 shoe, you should have seen them on the dance floor, they loved to dance and never forgot to have fun with each other. They danced, lived and loved into their 80’s.

In 1982 my Grandpa Dee started having dizzy spells and was told he could not roof anymore (he was in his early 80’s) he went downhill from there by early 1983 he was in the VA hospital 40 miles away. His body started failing him, one morning he woke and his leg was turning black. That day there “happened” to be a specialist visiting the hospital who was one of few in the country using a new surgery that increased the blood flow to his leg the gangrene receded sparing his leg. His kidneys were failing, Muvy and his children were called twice to his bedside in the night to be with him as he passed but he continued to surprise the doctors and rally. A cousin told my Mother and her siblings that part of Dee’s spirit had left this plane but there was something holding him here. During this time he would have hallucinations (or so they thought). He would rant and rave that they had to get Muvy to the Doctor insisting something was terribly wrong with her, his children believed that he was transferring his illness to his beloved wife. He pleaded with them to get her to the Doctor. Muvy had some dizziness due to the stress (?), my mom and her sister encouraged her to go in for a checkup. The Doctor decided to put a heart monitor on Muvy for 24 hours on Thursday. Friday my aunt took her in to get it removed, the Doctor told them they would call Monday with the results. Before they could even get home the Doctor had called my mom telling her to get Muvy to the hospital right away they were putting a pacemaker on her the next day, Saturday morning. Grandpa was called and told that the pacemaker was in place and Muvy was doing fine. By Saturday evening Grandpa had taken a turn for the worse, Sunday he continued to decline, Muvy was due to get out of the hospital Monday morning, the family was called that morning to come to the VA Hospital as Grandpas condition worsened. Grandpa had slipped into unconsciousness. All gathered around his bed as Muvy took his hand in hers. They watched in amazement as every line from his face disappeared and peace came over his worn out body. He passed quietly that day with Muvy by his side knowing that he had defied death until she had gotten the care she needed.

True love is music. It is the hymn of two hearts who share the same dream and the sound of a heavenly wish fulfilled.


If a young girl could gather up enough courage she would go to the graveyard on St. Valentines Eve at midnight, sing a certain chant then run around the church twelve times.  By doing so it was believed she could conjure up the appearance of her future spouse.  It was supposed that she would marry the first eligible male she met on Valentines Day.

Keep this on the Fridge 
from unknown source via email

Did You Know that Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately –without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional “pain relievers.”

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They’ll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with ¼ cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly — even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes… Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing, works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus… Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection… To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust… Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Creamy Broccoli Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 medium chopped onion (may also add a clove or 2 of minced garlic)
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups canned chicken stock (cook broccoli in broth until tender then puree broth and broccoli in blender)
4 cups chopped broccoli florets and stems (set aside some of the cooked florets to add to soup whole rather than blending all)
2 cups half-n-half
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large pot, melt butter and cook onion over medium high heat until tender. Add flour and stir to coat with butter. Add broccoli/broth mixture and bring to a simmer. Add half-and-half and whole broccoli florets. Season to taste and serve warm. If you want cheesy broccoli soup add cubed Velveeta or cheese of choice when you add half-and-half stir till cheese melts and soup is hot.